We all know it’s important to consume enough nutrients to prevent getting sick at the first place. After all, no one would like to visit doctors often and pay for the outrageous medical expenses and various health insurance. However, there are just so many vitamins and supplements around market that you are also utterly confused how much dietary supplement that you should take.
Ever wonder if your current diet satisfies your daily needs? Here is a handy tool called Daily Needs Calculator that allows you to calculate the amount of nutrient you need based on age, weight, height, and life style. It will calculate for you how much calories you metabolize daily yourself and how much you burn from exercising!
I enter a hypothetical person’s body index and here is what I find:
A 45 year old man, 5ft 11in/180cm tall, 80.0 kg/176.4 lb. Live a somewhat active lifestyle, and exercise for about 30 minutes of running, 6 mph (10 min/mile) daily. He would require the following nutrients:
With all the nutrients needed, have you wondered how much and what food you need to take to reach a balance diet? Take a moment to think what food do you commonly have, and will they reach the required nutrients?
Now let’s take a look at what’s inside spirulina and chlorella:
/100 g Spirulina
|/100 g Chlorella||Unit|
|Thiamin (Vit B1)||0.0055||1.9||Mg|
|Riboflavin (Vit B2)||0.004||4.6||Mg|
|Niacin (Vit B3)||0||20||Mg|
|Pantothenic Acid (B5)||0||0||Mg|
|74% beta carotene||0.17||0||G|
 TMTC = too many to count
I’ve highlighted key ingredients in chlorella and spirulina in blue font. As you can see, chlorella or spirulina alone contains pretty much all the nutrients you need to keep you diet balance!
Nutrient in a gram of spirulina is equivalent to:
- Vitamin A = 28 bottles of milk or 20 eggs
- Vitamin B1 = 16 small Pomfret or 7 giant tiger prawn
- Vitamin B2 = 4 yams or 2 carrots
- Vitamin B6 = 7 grapes or 4 asparagus
- Vitamin B12 = 2 eels, or 240g cheese
- Niacin(Vitamin B3) = 7.5 lemons, or 1.5 tomatos
- Vitamin E = 20 oysters or 4 hams
- Calcium = 5 bowls of rice or 3 peppers
- Iron = 3 spinach or 4 cabbages
- Magnesium = 2 celery or 63 g of liver
Nutrient in a gram of chlorella is equivalent to:
- Protein = 20 times of milk
- Vitamin B2 = 300 times of milk
- Iron = 80 times of spinach
- Chlorophyll a = 5 times of spinach
- Calcium = 120 times of banana
- Dietary fiber = 2 times of oat meal
- Beta-carotene = 1.5 times of carrots
- B12 is far more than any vegetables & fruits combined
This is the exact reason why people call those two food as whole food as well as superfood. There is simply no other food in the world contain this dense amount of nutrient, at a nutrient profile similar to what we need daily.